Monday, June 24, 2013

Beachy Night Stand with Wall Papered Drawers

My auto mechanic, Paul, is an avid yard saler and collector, so I always love going to his shop and checking out his finds.  Last time I visited, I found this little, 3-drawer night stand.  It was pretty ugly, but I liked how narrow it was and figured it would be functional for someone who lacked space.
With a little wall paper and Chalk Paint, I turned this homely night stand into a fresh, beachy piece of furniture.
I found three rolls of vintage, textured wall paper at a yard sale recently and I decided this would be the perfect project for it.
I traced each drawer onto the wall paper and then cut them out.  I used Mod Podge to stick the wall paper to the drawer fronts.  I am always impressed with the adhering power of Mod Podge!
I used Duck Egg Blue Chalk Paint on the dresser and I applied it with a dry brush to the drawer fronts so the white wall paper showed through the blue.  For the finishing touch, I added some darling, sea star knobs that we sell at Loot. 
This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Graphite and French Linen China Cabinet

A customer at Loot traded me this beautiful china cabinet for a desk I painted.  I love the simple, clean lines and the doors remind me of paned windows.

The veneer was damaged in places, which I repaired with Gorilla glue and wood filler.
I painted the exterior of the cabinet with Graphite Chalk Paint.

I applied both Annie Sloan clear and dark waxes to give the Graphite an aged appearance.  I only painted one coat of Graphite Chalk Paint on the moldings and details, so the wood showed through on the details after I waxed the piece.

The interior of the cabinet is painted with French Linen Chalk Paint. 
The clean lines and color combination created quite a sophisticated look.  This cabinet is one of my most masculine makeovers and reminds me of an old doctor's cabinet or an apothecary.

I love horses and I found this ceramic one at a rummage charity sale last week.  He was cracked and chipped everywhere and was falling off his little stand.  I had to rescue him from his fated future at the dump.

I filled all the little cracks and chips with wood filler and reattached the horse to his base with Gorilla Glue.  I painted him with Coco Chalk Paint followed by a Graphite wash.

He looks regal now, atop the cabinet.
This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.


Related Posts with Thumbnails