Friday, September 24, 2010

Vintage Picture Frame Makeovers

A constant, that always seems to show up for me, at yard sales, are vintage picture frames. I love taking them home, fixing them up and giving them a fresh start in life!

I found these two vintage frames with floral appliques in the corners. They were stained a dark brown and I knew they would be better white and a little shabby.

Before


After


This chunky vintage frame is one of my favorites. It started out brown and had a dated, linen border toward the center. I primered the whole thing, including the linen border and then painted it with flat black paint. I left the thin gold trim on the inside.

Before



After


I found these two large frames at a rummage sale for $1 each. The largest one was light colored with a linen border. The other one was dark brown with ornate corners that did not stand out with the dark brown stain. I primered them and painted the largest frame flat black and the other one white.

Before


After




I did not get a before picture of the next two vintage picture frames (darn it!). I wanted to include them anyway because I painted them the same creamy white, but I also used Ralph Lauren's glaze in smoke color over the white to give them a more aged look. The smaller frame is actually plastic (orange before painting) with a metal border on the inside. The larger one, with the wooden appliques, was stained a dark brown when I found it.



This post is linked to Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest.

3 comments:

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

They all look great, I especially love how the ones with the appliques turned out....I need to go hunting for some more for my house but alas no time just now.

Kelsie

Jenn said...

I love your blog Amanda!! You do such a great job! It makes me want to try to be more crafty...I don't have time for it now so until then I will just enjoy your blog! Send me your email and I will invite you to mine since its private! Love ya!

Deborah said...

So pretty..what a difference paint can make!
And I love the colour of your blog!!

Deborah :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails