Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Graphite and Old Ochre Desk


A couple that took one of our Chalk Paint workshops at Loot asked if I would redo their desk and  try to sell it.  The desk is a great size and shape, so I gave it a little Chalk Paint makeover.  They could have painted the desk themselves, after taking our workshop, but they said they were too busy painting everything else in their house.


This is what the desk looked like before with an old, dark wood finish.


I painted the top of the desk with Graphite Chalk Paint and the base and legs with Old Ochre.

Check out the amazing, woodblock art of the owls. I found them at an estate sale and they are both originals with the certificates on the backs.  The small one sold, but the large one is still available at Loot.

Before Dark Wax

I applied dark wax over the Old Ochre and Graphite.  Before I dark waxed the desk, it looked kind of bland, but the wax really finished the look.  I love the way both colors deepened with the dark wax over top of them.  
After Dark Wax


I painted the drawers with the hardware on and then went back and dry brushed Graphite over the Old Ochre on the hardware.  I also dark waxed the pulls when I waxed the drawers.


The dark wax really enriches the color of the Graphite Chalk Paint. 




I paired the desk with my favorite, old, office chair, built circa 1923.



This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.


24 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

It's beautiful! Love the color combo. I'm sure it'll sell fast.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this piece! it's so strong and masculine! if that makes sense...

Linda said...

Nice desk. Love your finish! I much prefer the muted creams to the boring white that's so popular. I'd change the hardware, but that's my taste. Have the same exact chair!

Decor & Harmony said...

I love this combination of colors! Graphite is my favorite color I have only bought 4 colors so far its so rich. NICE!!

Lisa said...

Very nice. I have such a hard time dark waxing flat/large surfaces. You did a perfect job of it. Some day I hope to 'get it'.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

What a beautiful makeover!

Paula said...

That looks INCREDIBLE! I stumbled across your blog while searching Google for 'chunky wooden candlesticks' to buy and it came up with a post you wrote in 2010! I love it when this happens - you start off searching for one thing, and come across something even better - SO glad I found you (am now following) - your talent for transformation is inspirational - can't wait to see more - my chunky candlesticks can wait! x

Marjorie (Insouciant1) said...

The piece looks fabulous. I have this EXACT same desk, purchased years ago for my husband's study, now reclaimed by me, and have been thinking about giving it a makeover...you just might have been the push that I needed. So inspiring! Great job with the color combination and dark wax application: end result is well worth all the obvious effort!

Deb @Lake Girl Paints said...

Such a beautiful classic look. It caught my eye out of the many entries. Keep up the good work! Deb

Danielle said...

I haven't seen this combination before and I absolutely love it. Haven't worked with Old Ochre yet, but it is lovely. Great job!

The Shabby Chicas said...

Love this! Your work is so inspiring! Can't wait to work on my next Annie Sloan Chalk Paint project. Just had to share a link to your post! --The Shabby Chicas

gardenknitter4 said...

I love your desk makeover- the graphite top reminds of the soapstone tops in the science labs in my old high school--love it!!!

kathryn said...

This is lovely! I am wondering if you brush or roll on the graphite? Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I love all details that you give in your articles. check this

Anonymous said...

Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily. Drew from wildfire production

Anonymous said...

These are the great blogs; I assure you that I really enjoyed a lot in reading. Rustic Furnishings

Anonymous said...

The stuff in this blog is in not only incredible but also providing the great knowledge to the people. Beach House Decorating

Anonymous said...

It’s truly awesome; you have imparted truly great knowledge. Beginner Woodworking Projects

Anonymous said...

Just seeing this picture. I have that same desk and it is a little tired looking. Now I'm inspired! Love the way yours turned out!

Unknown said...

ralph lauren uk
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren uk
true religion jeans
ray ban eyeglasses
louboutin shoes
jordans
off white clothing brand
coach outlet
www0820....

Anonymous said...

Click Here Louis Vuitton fake Bags Web Site Dolabuy Loewe Read More Here dolabuy.ru

Unknown said...

replica bags online replica bags toronto you can try here replica bags by joy replica designer bags replica bags manila

Anonymous said...

have a peek at this web-site gucci replica bags you can try this out dolabuy louis vuitton visit this website Prada Dolabuy

Anonymous said...

fear of god essentials
golden goose outlet
golden goose sneakers women
a bathing ape
golden goose outlet
bape
hermes sale online
golden goose shoes sale
jordan outlet
fear of god

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails