Friday, June 29, 2012

Vintage Waterfall Desk


This is the first waterfall piece of furniture I have painted and I was happy to find this desk at a yard sale recently.  


The old finish was in poor shape and because all the drawers had indented circles in the center, I got this one very cheap.  The woman told me that she had no idea how to fix the rings in the center of the drawers.  Her friend said the only way to fix it is to buy new veneer.  I did not let them know that my fix would be much simpler than this and I was happy to get a good deal.


I love the lines on this desk and the curved waterfall front.  


I painted the desk with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence.  I wanted to add some antiquing, so I mixed some Graphite Chalk Paint with water and made a wash to go over the bright blue Provence.  I made sure to really let the wash settle into all the grooves and used a cloth to wipe it back.  


Below is a comparison showing what the Provence looks like with and without the Graphite wash.




Mr. Rubbish drilled new holes for me, so I could use the same bin pulls that I used on this desk.  I was lucky to find thirteen of these vintage bin pulls on etsy for a great price!


I used wood filler to patch the rings on the front of the drawers and then sanded them smooth.  The only problem was that when I put the Graphite wash over the drawers the rings reappeared through the paint.  Shellac always works wonders at sealing in anything that needs to be concealed and it worked marvelously this time too.  I just painted one coat of shellac and then another coat of Provence followed by the Graphite wash again.


I finished the desk with a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax.  I like how the darkness of the Graphite wash antiques this desk, accentuates the lines, and ties in the oil-rubbed-bronze hardware.



This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.

14 comments:

Jan Hermann said...

Wow! It's stunning. I love your color choices!

Jan ♥

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Wow, love this! Not a big waterfall fan but this is gorgeous!

Anne said...

Oh, its lovely! Much better than the original.

Unknown said...

Just love this makeover - and a great tutorial too!
I've done a couple of waterfall pieces of furniture - and though I used to hate them - I'm slowly falling in love with the simple but classic design......
Great Job!!!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Stunning! I really like how the wash brings down the brightness of the blue, brings out the piece's character and goes so nicely with the bin pulls! What a beautiful piece! Great job! xoxo, Leena

Our Hopeful Home said...

Wow, it's a totally different piece of furniture....you really have an eye for color. Never heard of a waterfall desk, learn something every day! Love the pulls, too.

Kathleen

MONICA LIVAS said...

STUNNING! LOVE it!

andrea@townandprairie said...

I just love her! Your re-do is absolutely beautiful!

Anne said...

Gorgeous, very rich and stunning piece. Nice work.
Anne

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

It's magnificent!

Elena said...

Stunning work! I find your ideas absolutely inspiring.
Very good job!
Elena, Italy

Quilt Fabric Pizazz said...

What ratio paint to water did you make your graphite wash? Thanks.

Unknown said...

ralph lauren uk
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren uk
true religion jeans
ray ban eyeglasses
louboutin shoes
jordans
off white clothing brand
coach outlet
www0820

yanmaneee said...

jordan shoes
yeezy 500
christian louboutin shoes
mbt
jimmy choo shoes
kobe sneakers
nike sneakers for men
kate spade handbags
lacoste outlet
air max 90

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails