Monday, June 18, 2012

French Chairs a la Ticking Stripes


I found a pair of beautiful, vintage chairs at a yard sale recently. The chairs looked like someone had tried to strip the paint off and they had a lot of texture.


Because the chairs had so much texture, I decided to layer on the Chalk Paint with a two-color distressed technique. I painted a Pure White base coat and I custom mixed the top coat with equal parts Pure White, Paris Gray, and Louis Blue to create a soft, powdery blue.


I heavily distressed the chairs with 220 grit sand paper, exposing the white base coat and the wood beneath it.




I love the simplicity of ticking stripes and I was happy to find pale blue, ticking stripe fabric at my local fabric shop.


The ticking stripes are the perfect complement to the rustic, Frenchy-blue finish of these chairs.


With the extra ticking stripe fabric and some cream colored burlap, I made this ruffled table runner.




This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.

7 comments:

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Well, you've done it again! These chairs turned out so beautifully - I love the layers of color! The ticking is a sweet touch too - not one that is used too often and should be! I love the runner you made too and the little glipse of the table one of the chairs is next to (a dining table I think) looks like it goes perfectly with the chairs! Great find and even greater transformation! You know I always love visiting here! xoxo, Leena

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Beautiful!!
I would be honored to have you link this up at my "Cowgirl Up!" linky party, going in right now.

♥Linsey

Vintage Gal said...

Those chairs turned out just fab u lous! Love the ticking ;-)

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Those look great! Love the distressing and the ticking too!
Blessings, Lorraine

Cassie Bustamante said...

so sweet! love the ticking, but LOVE the chairs finish, too!

Laura said...

Loved you job so much. We can really give new life to old things if we care in fact can make them our partner for long time. I am so glad to see about white color for chair. I also prefer white color for old furniture to get nice matching with my existing white painted furniture . Thanks for your post with useful tips.

Unknown said...

I know this was a long time ago, but do you happen to know the name/brand of the blue ticking fabric used on these chairs? It is exactly what I'm looking for. Your chairs are beautiful! Nice work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails