Monday, June 4, 2012

Verdigris Bird Lamps


My sister-in-law found these unique bird lamps at a thrift store in Pennsylvania and bought them for me for Christmas.  My parents went to visit them at Christmas time and my mom brought them back for me in her suitcase.  I finally got them when I visited my family on my birthday back in February.  I love these lamps!  I finished painting them a while ago, but I had to wait to find the perfect shades.


This is what the pair looked like when I got them.  They are vintage (I am guessing 80s) with a copper finish, which gave me the idea to make them copper verdigris.


They look elegant atop my Louis Blue and Graphite Buffet.


It took me a while to find the right shades for this pair.  I wanted them to be simple because I did not want to detract from the beautiful detailing of the lamps.  I went to Target and brought back shades at least three different times and none of them seemed to be a perfect fit.  Finally, I know this is probably obvious to everyone else, Nancy suggested I take a lamp with me and try the shades on there. Well, I already knew that Target did not have the right shades for me, so I started to look around locally.  On the way home from the farmer's market, I spotted a local family-owned company, Riverside Lighting, whose windows were full of, what seemed like hundreds, of lamps and shades.  I made my way over there the next day and they have an entire room of just lampshades!  Plus, they were 20% off that day and I found the perfect pair of shades!  They are sophisticated, creamy linen with a simple drum shape and I think they look just right in scale and style on the bird lamps.


To create the verdigris look over the copper finish, I mixed Provence and Chateau Gray Chalk Paint.  Then, I dry brushed it over the lamps, letting the copper show through.  For those of you that have not tried Annie Sloan Chalk Paint over metal yet, I can tell you it does an amazing job of adhering.  I did not even wax over top of the paint because I thought the chalky look and feel made the verdigris finish seem authentic.


These beautiful, bird lamps are for sale at Loot.




This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.


5 comments:

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

These lamos are amazing! So unique! The transformation you made with paint is perfect, as are the shades! Really nice addition to your buffet! I always know I'll find great inspiration here! Hugs, Leena

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Oh these are great -- love the details on these and your finish is perfect. LOL -- it's still hard for me to come to grips with the idea that the 80's are considered "vintage".

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

These lamps are all kinds of awesome. I happen to love birds. The finish is perfect.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

These look beautiful...great makeover!

Reconectarse said...

Good reead

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails