Monday, September 26, 2011

Paris Gray and White Vanity

This gorgeous vanity came from an estate sale.  It was my big piece at the Loot sale and I am thrilled it sold the first day!  It sold to a darling 14 year old who wanted it for her bedroom.  She came into the shop in the morning and fell in love with it, but her dad wasn't convinced.  She came back just before we closed for the day and he bought it for her.  What a nice dad!  I am delighted that this vanity went to loving home.



This is what it looked like when I found it:


The finish was a little worn in places, but nothing a little Chalk Paint could not fix. This vanity is extremely well-built and heavy.  I broke a sweat when I helped Mr. Rubbish carry it to and from the truck, even with the drawers removed.


It came with a gorgeous, beveled mirror with a beautiful applique on top and a beaded trim along the edges.


I envisioned this vanity being very pale, but I wanted to highlight the applique and detailing around the drawers.  I thought the Paris Gray Chalk Paint was too dark for this piece, so I mixed it half and half with Old White Chalk Paint.  The color became the gorgeous, subtle gray I had envisioned.  


I used the Old White Chalk Paint on a tiny paint brush to paint the trim around each drawer.  I also painted the trim around the mirror and the applique on top with Old White.


I also used the Old White Chalk Paint, thinned with water, to create a whitewash on the existing drawer hardware.


My only advice for mixing paint is to either mix enough paint to complete the job or measure the ratio of each color exactly.  I ran out of paint and I still had to do one more coat on the top of the vanity.  It took too many attempts to get an exact match of color.  I finally did it, but it would have been much easier had I mixed enough paint to start with.  What project is ever complete without one or two mishaps along the way?  I am very pleased with how the vanity turned out in the end!


This post is linked to the parties in my sidebar.

8 comments:

michelle said...

it is gorgeous Amanda and I am so glad that it sold to a sweet girl. I love how you white washed the hardware, it really adds to the piece.
xoxo

Robin Johnson said...

Amanda it's gorgeous. What a wonderful piece to add to any home.

Emily said...

I want it! It's beautiful! I'm glad it went to a good home. :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh amanda that is beautiful! and i also am glad it went to a good home! :)

Kahli said...

Oh I love it. And the buyer will love it just as much!

Deborah March said...

Beautiful piece, lovely re-do...and what a NICE Dad...

Unknown said...

ralph lauren uk
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren uk
true religion jeans
ray ban eyeglasses
louboutin shoes
jordans
off white clothing brand
coach outlet
weww0820

sheteason said...

best replica designer bags l59 y3o43q2z72 Ysl replica bags r72 z9w30p0x61 aaa replica bags q47 p3r73y3c80

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails