Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Mom's Shabby Kitchen Table


Last time my parents came to visit me, we went shopping in Pacific Grove and they bought this table from Blessings Boutique.  My mom loved the vintage table, but when they bought it, the table had a weird kind of distressed finished with what looked like blotchy spray paint.  I told my mom to just paint it white and we cold distress the edges when I visited her.

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the table before, but here is what it looked like after my mom gave it a fresh coat of white paint.

I am visiting my parents right now and we decided to work on her table in between upholstering some chairs.  My mom has a nice pneumatic staple gun, so I am getting my difficult upholstery project done while I am here too.

Here is what the table looks like now, after my mom and I distressed the edges and applied a paste wax.

The tabletop is so pretty with a little distressing and reminds me of a shabby, old door.  She is collecting small, vintage chairs to go with the table and we are going to paint and reupholster them next.


The cool thing about her table is that both sides fold down to save space.  This table is actually for my mom's kitchen (I took the pictures in her dining room), where she does not have a lot of space, so it is perfect!  




I found stuff my mom had lying around her house for a centerpiece - some seashells, a silver tray, candles and bud vases holding some pretty desert weeds.




This post is linked to:









14 comments:

Emily said...

I love it, and I'm sure mom does too!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

That is a neat table!

julie - eab designs said...

Love this piece. It reminds me of an English draw leaf table that I had for years. I wish I would have kept mine now!

JaninaCakes said...

I had a table like this when I first got married. It was so awesome you could slide the chairs in the center. This post just brought back those memories. :)

Monica said...

I love both the table and the centre piece. This table has lots of character now and I am happy that I did not see what it looked liked with those blotches of paint. It looks so distressed and vintage now. I love the way it folds.

xxx Monica

michelle said...

What a beautiful table! I was thinking that it looked like old door panels too, I love it, gives it so much character. The centerpieces are perfect. :)

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

So pretty and inspiration for me! I am getting ready to redo my dining table and just bought my first sander! Hope I can do as a good a job as you always do!!

Deborah said...

Lovely table Amanda!!
And the centerpiece is so nice with it!
So nice you get to have a visit..enjoy!

Deborah xoxo

Unknown said...

It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on Funky Junk Interiors. Of course I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

Take care
Tine

MiniBinoy said...

Hello Amanda, the table looks beautiful!! wow!!I luv that center piece with shells candles and weeds!very pretty!:)

Tiff said...

What a fantastic table! I just love it! X

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

What a lovely find! And you can never go wrong with distressed white.. ;-)

Hope you are planning on showing the chairs..

Unknown said...

The table looks great and love the staging!!!

nananet said...

I am so excited to have come across this spot. I know it is a couple years old so I hope someone still sees this. I saw this type table at a lakehouse we rented and I would LOVE to find one to purchase. It is such a space saver and I love that the chairs fit inside. I do not however know the name of this table to search for it...can anyone help?
Also - LOVE the way you painted. Just enough distressing to have character!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails