Monday, April 4, 2011

Swedish Side Table

Since my coffee table (this one was hard to part with) sold at Blessings Boutique, I had to get some new tables into my space quickly lest my stuff be on the floor.  This weekend I finished two tables and I am working on a third, so this is going to be a week of table projects here on my blog.

I spotted this lovely (not so lovely at the time) vintage table in my parents' garage.  My little brother recently went away to college and had used this table as a tv stand in his bedroom.  Since it was just gathering dust in the garage and because I thought I could make something of it, I took the little table home to give it a new life.

After

The table was scratched and dirty when I found it in the garage.  The beautiful, flower inlay did not stand out through the old finish.  

Before

After a good cleaning and sanding with my palm sander, the beautiful wood underneath was exposed!


I did not want to put a finish on the wood that would hide the inlay and the beautiful quality of the old wood, so I just applied two coats of tung oil to protect the top and brighten it up a bit.


I decided to add some contrast to this simple table by painting the base and legs white.


When I first saw this table I thought it might be too plain to make beautiful, but now I love the straight lines and simplicity of this Swedish style table.  


I love the warm, natural glow of the wood and the way the inlay stands out now.




This post is linked to:




15 comments:

Emily said...

Sorry to hear the coffee table sold...I know you loved it! But, I'm sure the person who bought it will give it a good home. :)
I can't believe what a little sanding and oil can do! I love the little flower inlay and the white legs and bottom. Very nice!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Love it! The inlay is just beautiful!

Conservatory Furniture said...

Really agood transformation of the table,It appears a new one.......
I like the design of the table.......
Thanks for sharing this post.

Kristal B. said...

So beautiful! This is one of my favorite pieces you have done. It is so lovely and simple. I love the inlay too. Nicely done.

Lisa of "The Creative Need" said...

Very nice! The beautiful inlay really stands out. The simple design is refreshing!

Jenn said...

LOVE it!!its beautiful.

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Beautiful! It's amazing how the tongue oil brought out that much color and character. Excellent job! ~Leena~

LSto125 said...

I love it! You are so amazingly talented! I would love to come and see your cute cabin and the things in your shop! miss you Amanda :>

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Amanda, The inlay is beautiful. You did a great job on the table.
xo,
Sherry

Deborah said...

What new life you've brought here!!!
Wonderful job..as always!


Deborah xoxo

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Really great work on this table! The wood is beautiful!

reFresh reStyle said...

Love the table! Bittersweet on the sell! I always have to remind myself, that I can't keep everything! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Debbie

Cassie Bustamante said...

that table was a great find! i love the inlay in the top, and you really saved it and made it gorgeous again.

Danielle @ The Sunshine Girl said...

I love that top. The flower inlay is beautiful. Great contrast with the white too!

casalegno farm said...

this is amazing! yLooks like that tung oil will work wonders on my cedar chest! maybe it is simple enough for me to even learn to use!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails