Monday, April 18, 2011

Chalkboards in Vintage Frames


I had several vintage frames laying around and I decided to make a few chalkboards to go inside them.  I bought some sheets of thin, smooth wood from Home Depot and Mr. Rubbish cut them down to the sizes that fit my frames.  I primed the wood and then painted four coats of chalkboard paint over it, sanding with fine grit sandpaper in between coats.

This vintage frame used to house a wild turkey print. It was dark and outdated, but I liked the distressed wood.



I painted the frame white and sanded the edges before attaching the chalkboard with wood glue.




I love the fancy, scrolling details of this Syrocco style, vintage frame.  


The frame was originally gold and black and had an old print with red, velvet trim. I removed the velvet border before making it into a chalkboard. This frame did not come with glass, so it was a perfect choice for a chalkboard.



I painted the frame a pretty shade of aqua, glazed it and applied gold Rub 'n Buff over all the edges and raised details.  



I painted the two small, vintage frames aqua and took them to the shop yesterday to help me advertise the sale in my booth.




Chalkboards are an ideal project for empty vintage frames, especially the ones that do not have glass.



This post is linked to:









7 comments:

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

Agreed. I always get cheap frames without glass to make into bulletin boards, chalk boards, etc. You can usually get them to cut you a deal if the glass is missing or broken to. Play the old "But I would have to get a piece of glass cut!" card and it works like a charm haha.

Love these :)

raggygirlvintage said...

Love them, I'm also working on some right now!
Tracey

A Vintage Vine said...

Those are great! You used two of my fav's....old frames and chalkboards! Love the look!

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Love these! Especially the gold rub n' buff with the aqua!

Monica said...

Awesome, Amanda, love the genius in you. You should start a TV show or something, you know. I MEAN IT!

xxx Monica

The Auction Queen said...

I love the chalkboard frames!! I have several old frames laying around that would be great for this project!!!

Tiff said...

Those frames look amazing Amanda! I love the black chalkboard paint, the black and white is perfect together! There is something so sophisticated and classy about those colours together! I'll let you in on a secret about the blue chalkboard I just did... It has black on the other side so I can flip it! ha! Shhhhhh! X

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails