Friday, October 8, 2010

Vintage Office Chair Redo

When we moved into a house we were renting a couple of years ago, I found this vintage, solid oak office chair in the basement, left by the previous tenant. The chair, besides cosmetically (the finish was scratched and I am not crazy about orangish oak), was in great condition. It is very comfortable, well-built and it swivels and rocks. When we moved, Mr. Rubbish begrudgingly loaded the chair in the moving truck for me. I knew that someday I would paint it and bring out its true beauty. I just could not pass up a free chair with so much potential. I mean, they sell a near exact replica at Pottery Barn for a whopping $399 if you can believe it?!!



Well.... I finally painted it! I had Mr. Rubbish bring it out of our storage unit last week and I got to work. First, I sanded it with an electric palm sander and then painted on primer. Two coats of cottage white and a bit of distressing later and I have a new shabby chic, office chair! I do want to keep it in case I ever have a home office again, but I think it is going to the shop.






Here is the armless version of the chair in a Pottery Barn ad. They also sell one with arms that looks almost identical to my vintage one.





This post is linked to:


13 comments:

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Great find and great redo!

Emily said...

I can't believe how much it looks like the Pottery Barn one! I bet yours is built better, too! I would not want to part with it either, but now you will just have to hunt for another one! :)

A Few Pennies said...

Hi; you left me a comment on my blog to come see your plaster cherubs you painted and then I saw this awesome chair--I, too, just bought one almost identical to yours for $5.00! I can't wait to paint it now. That chair is just gorgeous--Pottery Barn would be jealous!

Biljana said...

Great job, your chair is so beautiful:)))
I am your newest follower too.
Have a great weekend, Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Anonymous said...

I love the chair makeover. I know what you mean about wanting to keep sutff. Years ago, I bought two antique chairs similiar to this only they were regular chairs, not office chairs.

Call me crazy one of the had a crack in the wood and I fixed it up and sold it. Why I did that is beyond me because the chairs were pretty and would have made a set.

Hopefully when you do get another home office, you can find another one like this to redo for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You left a nice comment on my blog so I came over here to check you out. I love your blog. The name is awesome and the content is too! I'm adding you to my google reader! Great chair makeover by the way!

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Amanda-

Thanks for the comment about my kitchen. I wish I had more time to be able to do more big projects like that in my house. Your chair looks EXACTLY like the PB one. You did an excellent job. It is amazing how updated your chair looks now.

Kelli@Restore Interiors said...

Hi Amanda! I just finished reading your blog and I am now a follower! You have some great transformations! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following me as well. I look forward to seeing more of your designs!
Blessings,
Kelli

Deborah said...

Beautiful job Amanda!!
Ahhh theres nothing quite like white :)
We have the old wooden office chairs in our basement ...I asked my hubby if I can have some to redo...he said I can do whatever I want with two of them.
So this is also on my list of "things to do".
I'm painting mine black to go in my dining room
Soon! lol
Have a great week sweetie!

Deborah xoxo

MWB Business Exchange Ltd said...

Awesome chair makeover. Looks pristine for the office but definitely a stunning piece of furniture. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Great post! I highly appreciate your content! Please check my site: Toko Buku Islam

Unknown said...

nike factory outlet
nike air max
pandora jewelry
moncler jackets
nike requin
adidas nmd runner
red bottom shoes
moncler outlet
polo ralph lauren
longchamp handbags
www0820.

Garland said...

I need this chair can you tell me what is the price of this chair?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails