Monday, August 16, 2010

Syroco Revamped

Syroco or faux rococo, as Mr. Rubbish accurately calls it (he did take one interior design class in college), is a brand of vintage, wall decor made in the 1960's. The decorative pieces from the 60's were made of hard, scrolling plastic, but were made to look like carved wood. Maybe I am wrong about this, but I am pretty sure all the Syroco pieces from the 60's are gold color. I have picked up quite a few Syroco shelves and mirrors at yard sales and I love how they look when painted - it is hard to tell they are plastic with a pretty coat of paint.


Above is a photo of a Syroco mirror I recently repainted and sold at Blessings Boutique. It was a coppery gold when I bought it at a garage sale for only $2 (oops, I hate it when I forget to take a before photo). I painted it first with Bullseye Primer and then chose a bright, robin's egg blue acrylic paint as the final coat. After the paint dried, I glazed it with Ralph Lauren's glaze in smoke color. I used a brush to paint on the glaze and a damp rag to wipe off most of it. This was the first time I tried the glaze and I like how it made the details of the mirror pop out while giving it an aged patina. The last thing I did was rub gold Rub 'n Buff over the raised edges to make the detailing stand out more. This one sold quickly at the shop!

I got another Syroco mirror from my sister when she moved to a new house (yes, this is the large mirror we had to cram into the little car, amongst all of the other junk, on our roadtrip back from Utah).




I painted this one a creamy white and then sanded it to create a slightly shabby look.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just started collecting some redone syroco pieces. Now I am going to try my hand at redoing a set of syroco peacocks painted gold. Thanks for the information!
Kayae

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of great Syroco pieces that I had in my antique booth. I decided to keep them for myself and paint them, but haven't worked up the courage. Glad I stumbled upon your post! FYI-One of the experts in the mall told me that the factory with all the molds had burnt down, and they lost all of them.

Mike said...

I love the bright robin's egg blue you picked for the first minor. I can't believe you got it for only 2 dollars. I'm assuming you sold it for a lot more then that.

dong dong23 said...

michael kors handbags
coach outlet
coach outlet online
ray ban sunglasses outlet
ray bans
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
adidas uk
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
abercrombie
louis vuitton handbags
burberry outlet
coach outlet
nike huarache shoes
nike sb shoes
cheap jordan shoes
oakley sunglasses
kate spade handbags
louis vuitton handbags
kate spade outlet
kate spade handbags
hollister clothing
michael kors handbags
adidas outlet store
ray ban sunglasses
abercrombie & fitch
michael kors purses
louis vuitton outlet
jordans
nike air max
supra sneakers
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton
fitflops
tods outlet
michael kors bags
coach outlet
20165.28wengdongdong

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails