I bought this beat-up cabinet from a garage sale for $10. It had ugly, brown fabric in the cabinet doors and it was dusty and run-down. I took it home and Mr. Rubbish helped me sand it with his electric palm sander. Then, I primed and painted it French gray (actually Martha Stewart’s Driftwood Gray). I sanded it so the white base coat showed through, although it is hard to see in the photo. I wanted really cute knobs for it and I thought the ones it came with were not that great, but when I went to look for them at the store (my first mistake) the cheapest ones were three bucks a piece! Well, a girl that looks for rubbish just cannot pay $3 for a single knob, so I cleaned them with water and vinegar. I was pleasantly surprised to see how sparkly and cute the existing knobs were underneath the layer of grime!
Mr. Rubbish had some leftover construction wire from a garden bed he built, so I used that for the doors. I could not find hinges to fit, so I just painted those gray to match the cabinet.
Here is my French Gray cabinet before and after:
I wish I had a better after picture of the cabinet. I took this at the shop one day, when I was busily setting stuff up, and when I got home, I realized I did not take a very good photo. I am going to work at the shop tomorrow and my plan was to get a better photo before posting about it, but they called and told me the cabinet sold today. Oh well, this picture does not do it justice, but you get the idea.