Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Paris Gray Chalk Paint and Stenciled Table


I am excited to show all of you my first, completed Chalk Paint project!  I used Paris Gray with clear and dark wax for this little, Parisian table.


I found this vintage table at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago with Mr. Rubbish.  I offered the guy $2 and he said no, but he would sell it for me for $5.  I decided to take it and Mr. Rubbish was not happy about it.  He said it is beyond hope and that I wasted $5.  I felt kind of bad about buying it, but I was determined to prove him wrong.


I loved the way the legs are shaped and my favorite part about it is the vintage caster wheels.  I admit, it was in need of major help, though.  You could see the screw holes and the line joining two pieces of wood in the top and the legs all had ill-repaired cracks that were quite visible. I just filled all the screw holes and cracks with wood filler.  You do not actually have to primer when using Chalk Paint, but I primered the top of the table anyway because it was in such bad shape and I figured an extra coat would help mask the problems.

Aren't the caster wheels cute?!!
I applied two coats of Chalk Paint in Paris Gray and then stenciled the top.  After stenciling, I realized that it was not perfectly centered and, being the perfectionist that I am, I had to sand it down and do another coat of Paris Gray before stenciling the design over again.  This time I made sure to measure and locate dead center before I started.  Sometimes I am so excited to get started on a project that I overlook, important preparatory steps like this.

After the stencil dried, I sanded it to distress and then applied clear wax and rugger brown wax (both Fiddes & Sons) over the tabletop and legs. Miss Mustard Seed has a great tutorial here on how to apply the waxes and where to purchase the Fiddes & Sons waxes for only $14 per can.

This was my first time using the dark wax (I usually use glaze) and it was a little tricky.  I just used a tiny bit of dark wax on my brush and applied it in sections, blending it over the clear wax.

I bought two, large, vintage stencil brushes, with natural bristles, on ebay for $9 each, to use for the wax and they worked great!  I did not want to spend $35 for a wax brush from the Chalk Paint stockists, especially when I would need two of them (one for the clear and one for the dark wax).  I will show you a picture of the wax brushes I found in my next post.


I really love the two finials in the center of the table base.  The are actually made of iron.  Conveniently, the Chalk Paint is designed to stick to metal as well as wood, so it had no problem adhering.



I found a wonderful independent thrift shop by my house with excellent prices. I got a whole bag of vintage, hardback books for $5, the other day!  I took them home, removed the covers and made book bundles for the shop.


 I have been coming across old, skeleton keys at yard sales and I've been snatching them up for $1 each.


I think the strange, little table, with all the cosmetic problems, turned out pretty cute in the end!


This post is linked:


  









30 comments:

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

love it! i never measure carefully enough and always regret it haha.

Unknown said...

love it, love the color the design and the little wheels on the bottom , such a cute little table..

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The table looks really beautiful!! I notice you didn;t mention what your hubby has to say about the table now! :) I just used chalk paint for the first time today. I'm really excited paint the secong coat tonight.

Deborah said...

Very cute Amanda!
I love the gray and your stenciling turned out very nice!!
Hubby must be happy with it now!!

Deborah xoxo

#idreaminfarmhouse said...

Lovely!

Emily said...

I love the little caster wheels, too! What a great find for only $5! It turned out incredible!

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Love your table it turned out beautiful!!!

Decor & Harmony said...

Your table looks loved now. Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Jeannies Bottle said...

The table looks fab - u - lous!!
You're a genius!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. You sound like me with the do over. I do that all the time.

Tiff said...

WOW Amanda you have outdone yourself! This table is stunning! I have some French grey chalk paint that I have been playing with... I have a table out in the garage... hmmm, I feel a project coming on! Thanks for the inspiration once again! X

Heaven's Walk said...

GREAT job, Amanda! Bet you're saying "I told ya so!" to your hubby! lol! I totally get your eagerness to start projects. I do the same thing. :) I also wanted to thank you for the great tips and tutorial. I'm dyin' to try this magical paint!!!

xoxo laurie

The Decorating Diaries said...

I love the table. Glad you didn't pass it up.

Janet

Jenni said...

I think it looks amazing! And I agree on the caster wheels, they are so sweet! You did a lovely job on the table, and it looks night and day from how it did before! :)

I hope your week has been a good one, and that you have a fun weekend! Happy early 4th of July to you! :)

Blessings,
Jenni

Unknown said...

I think it looks great. Definately worth $5. Don't worry about being a perfectionist - I'd do the same. Cheers Kylie

fran @ eleven-o-one said...

It's adorable! I have a table in the garage that my hubby has labeled hopeless but that I love. I had given up on it but this gives me new hope. I may have to give it a try. great job.

The Paupers Castle said...

simply beautiful!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Well I'm hoping your husband has apologize profusely for his lack of faith in your artistic skills -- haha! What a transformation! I think the gray is the next color I'm going to get -- I really like it! I've only used the cream with clear wax. Great idea about the vintage brushes -- will have to keep an eye out for them! I'm pinning this -- where did you get the stencil by the way?

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Awesome job; it's beautiful. I am a new follower. Can't wait to see more of whaqt you are doing.

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I shared this on Cedar Hill Ranch's Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Hill-Ranch/194162480629331

Melissa said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it! Great job!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fantastic transformation. I love the design. Love the perfectionist in you. I'm the same way when it comes to centering. Great job.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hey girl! Thanks for the great idea. I have a round table here and couldn't decide what to do with it. Now to find a place to put the table it's getting a little full around here.

marissa said...

Gorgeous Amanda! Really special and unique! I love skeleton keys too, I have a few and I always want to wear them as jewelery or put them out but the finishes are so yucky.....what do you do to re-love yours?

Kim said...

LOVE IT!!! You really rocked that little table. I'm curious about the brushes. I'm gonna follow along from now on. Also, where do you get your stencils? Have a great 4th!
xoxo,
Kim

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Definitely $5 well spent! The table is beautiful.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Gorgeous gorgeous!! Love this! Thanks for sharing at FNF! Happy 4th!!

~chic~romance~ said...

Like Lauren, I'd like to know where you bought the stencil. i'm kinda moving past just painting furniture to painting furniture with "bling"!!! LOL Loven the bling on this cutie!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post is pleasant, my sister is analyzing these
things, so I am going to let know her.
Here is my webpage - how can i lose weight

Michelle Lisle said...

Hi there, I just found your blog this morning while looking for paris stencils and I love what you've done with this little table, it's gorgeous. You definitely didn't waste your money here at all. I've never used chalk paint but I like the fact you don't have to prime with it so I think I'll be checking my local hardware store to see if they have any. Love the blog and I look forward to visiting often...xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails