Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tutorial Tuesday: Noel Christmas Banner



I have been going over and over in my head different ideas for Christmas banners. This is the first one I have created and I cannot wait to make more! It was fun, easy and I love how it turned out. I played around with a few different fabric choices from my fabric bin and finally settled on burlap mixed with this cherished, (I have been saving it because I only have about a yard) sheet music fabric from my sister.

Let's get started!

First, I made some patterns of the basic shapes from newspaper.




Then, I pinned the patterns to the fabrics and cut the shapes out. I pressed all the pieces and ironed a half-inch flap on the flag for later.




Next, I stenciled the letters on the little burlap hearts using my vintage brass stencils and black fabric paint. I embellished the letters a bit with a tube of glitter paint. If you do not have brass stencils laying around, you can print clipart and cut out stencils like I did for this number project.




After the paint dried, I pinned the burlap heart to the larger sheet music heart and sewed it on with a small zigzag stitch (my first attempt at applique).






I also sewed the edges of the burlap flags with a zigzag stitch because burlap tends to fray excessively. I, then, attached the hearts to the burlap flag by sewing a straight stitch all the way around the sheet music heart.




I used hemp twine and connected the burlap flags by folding, the already pressed, flaps over the twine and pinning it in place, removing the pins as I sewed. The flags are adjustable and can easily slide along the twine.




I love the musical fabric and, on a side note, I found stacks of really, really old sheet music at a garage sale over the weekend in Orange county. I had to pay a whole 50 cents, but it was worth it...heehee. I am trying to decide what I want to use it for first....so many projects, so little time!



Joyeux Noel!

This post is linked to:


11 comments:

michelle said...

Very pretty! I am loving all these banners that I am seeing! I really like how you did it with the hearts!

Alexandra and Julia said...

What a beautiful project! Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Hope Studios Linky Party

MiniBinoy said...

its indeed a great idea Amanda..you got such a gud taste!!i luv that glitter u painted along the edges of the alphabets!!luv the fabrics too.:)

Melissa Samuels said...

Super cute banner! TFS

Deborah said...

Love this Amanda!!
I cant get enough of the burlap and the hearts of course!!!
Beautiful!!!

Deborah xoxo

kasthurirajam said...

wonderful idea.very pretty

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

Great idea. I wanted to let you know I gave you the stylish blogger award. Details on my blog.

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton handbags, kate spade outlet online, nike air max, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet store, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci handbags, oakley vault, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, jordan shoes, burberry outlet online, ray ban outlet, nike air max, coach outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, kate spade handbags, red bottom shoes, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, christian louboutin shoes, nike free, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike shoes, prada handbags, tiffany jewelry, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada outlet, longchamp outlet online, michael kors outlet online

oakleyses said...

north face pas cher, louis vuitton pas cher, nike roshe run, hollister, barbour, ralph lauren pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, vans pas cher, nike air force, abercrombie and fitch, nike trainers, louis vuitton uk, true religion outlet, mulberry, sac louis vuitton, ray ban pas cher, nike huarache, nike free pas cher, michael kors canada, hollister, timberland, longchamp pas cher, hermes pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, air max, nike blazer pas cher, longchamp, ray ban uk, lacoste pas cher, michael kors uk, chaussure louboutin, air max pas cher, nike free, sac michael kors, louis vuitton, burberry pas cher, ralph lauren, nike roshe, air jordan, true religion outlet, new balance pas cher, lululemon, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, nike air max, scarpe hogan, tn pas cher, north face, true religion

oakleyses said...

babyliss pro, p90x workout, valentino shoes, canada goose pas cher, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, lululemon outlet, canada goose outlet, new balance outlet, soccer shoes, bottega veneta, wedding dresses, insanity workout, hollister, canada goose, jimmy choo shoes, ugg outlet, ugg boots, north face outlet, uggs outlet, ghd, asics shoes, marc jacobs outlet, giuseppe zanotti, ferragamo shoes, longchamp, reebok outlet, birkin bag, north face jackets, canada goose uk, celine handbags, vans outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs on sale, ugg, moncler, mont blanc pens, roshe run, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, herve leger, beats headphones, moncler, ugg soldes, soccer jerseys, instyler ionic styler

dong dong23 said...

louis vuitton outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
tory burch outlet
nike store
burberry outlet online
louis vuitton
nike outlet store
ralph lauren sale
michael kors handbags
pandora jewelry
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
christian louboutin shoes
christian louboutin sale
ray ban sunglasses
nike uk
north face outlet
louis vuitton outlet
cheap jordans
adidas originals
asics shoes
beats headphones
christian louboutin outlet
toms shoes outlet online
instyler curling iron
jordans for sale
louis vuitton
ray ban sunglasses discount
michael kors outlet
tory burch outlet
hollister clothing
jordan 11s
oakley outlet
fitflop sandals
tiffany outlet
michael kors handbags
20165.28wengdongdong

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails