Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Botanical Art


It seems to be ages since I posted a tutorial, but this project is perfect because it is free (if you already have frames laying around) and easy!

At the end of summer, my sister and three nieces and one nephew came for a visit.  I live in a magical forest and we went on a nature hike, collecting leaves, flowers, and ferns.  When we got back to my cabin, we pressed them between sheets of wax paper inside thick books.  There they stayed, nicely preserved, until I decided to use them for this project yesterday.


First, I printed several vintage, fancy script, postcards from the Graphics Fairy onto a creamy cardstock.  Then, I used Modge Podge to adhere the leaves to the paper.  I also painted a layer of Modge Podge over the entire surface to protect the delicate leaves.



I wanted the paper to look aged, so I used a glaze to give it a nice, old patina.  I just brushed it on in a circular motion and rubbed it off with a paper towel.



These two 8x10" frames were $1.50 each at a thrift shop and I have had them sitting in a box of frames that I primered, but never painted.  They started out a pewter color.



I looked through my craft paint and, appropriately, selected a color called moss green to paint the frames.    I rubbed on some glaze after I painted them to give them an aged patina too.



For the finishing touch I added antique gold rub 'n buff along all the edges of the frames.



That is all it took to create some beautiful and unique, botanical wall art!  You can do this easy project using whatever leaves and flowers grow outside your house.







I had so much fun making these and it brought back fond memories of this summer and our nature hike through the magical forest.





This post is linked to:





16 comments:

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

I love these...Your use of old postcards looking paper is just the perfect touch.

Blessings Kelsie

Unknown said...

I love these!!!! I have to make them for myself!! Thank you for sharing.8>)

Anonymous said...

Aw, they look great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!

Deborah said...

I love how they look Amanda!!
Every time you look at them you will remember those special moments with your family...now thats a tresure...

Deborah xo

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Amanda, you are so creative! These are just lovely!

Monica said...

They look lovely - you are an amazing crafter! I love everything you do...

I have left something for you on my blog...

xxx Monica

Beth said...

They turned out gorgeous! I have tons of metal frames & have been wanting to paint them, so thanks for letting us know that you primed yours first before painting. I thought it might be necessary, but now I know for sure! Thx!

MJ Ornaments said...

You're so clever, these are beautiful! I love botanical prints, and this is such a great idea. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for sharing your pretty creation. Take care, Martha

jenclair said...

They look great!

Audrey Pettit said...

What a great project! I love this whole idea and love preserving nature, and the way yours turned out is totally inspiring.
visiting from the Graphics Fairy. TFS!

Kelly said...

So gorgeous! I've tried pressing flowers/leaves before, and they never come out right. Yours look perfect!!

Kelly

Stitchfork said...

Oh so pretty! Found you via the Graphics Fairy and glad I did!
Cathy

Tania said...

Hi Amanda,
thank you for the kind words and welcome to my blog! I love what you do and will definitely follow for more of these great ideas! keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, I love anything like this! You could sell them hint, hint ;)
Happy March 1st
Rosemary...X

Scarlett Fiona Reed said...

Fabulous! So glad you finally made it in and I got to meet you and find your blog! I'm a fan :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails