Thursday, January 20, 2011

Facelift for an Old Clock



I was visiting my little brother a couple of months ago and he had this old clock on his wall.  I told him that I liked his clock, but it needed a little fix-up.  He took the clock off the wall and handed it to me.  I love a challenge!

This is what the clock looked like before.  It was that '70s, orange-brown stained wood with gold swirly designs on the glass.  Even with the ugly accents, I loved the beautiful shape of the clock.




I started by removing the ugly gold, curly cues from the glass with vinegar and a razor blade.  They came right off!  I would have painted the clock a weathered gray, like this coffee table, if it was for myself.  Since it was for my brother, I decided to paint it black and distress the edges.


After I painted it, it still need something else and I decided a new face would complete the transformation.  I turned to my friend, Renee, from Shabby, Chic & Charming.  She has a lovely blog with so many creative ideas and I remembered she beautifully transformed one of her clocks by designing a new face. You can see her transformed clock by clicking here.  I asked her if she would design a face for mine too and she did an amazing job!  I love the Roman numerals and the distressing she added with her graphics program.

 I wanted to customize it for my brother, so I asked Renee to add Sherman (his last name) clock company at the top.  She also picked a lovely, yet masculine graphic of a lion and unicorn, that looks like a family crest, for the bottom.  I love it!



I printed the face out at Staples on white card stock and then added some smoke colored glaze for more depth.



I cut it out and used Modge Podge to decoupage the new face over the old one.


I hope my brother likes his clock facelift!




This post is linked to: 




17 comments:

Jenn said...

you amaze me! i love it and i am sure he will too! love ya!

Emily said...

That is so cool! I love that you personalized it! He better appreciate the work that went into that!

A Vintage Vine said...

Great makeover!!! It does not even look the same!!! Great blog!

Renee {Shabby, Chic and Charming} said...

Love it!!! Thanks so much for asking me to be a part of this great project! I know he'll love it!

~Renee @Shabby-Chic-Charming@blogspot.com

Unknown said...

this is so great. i love the new face! i'm always on the lookout for an older clock that needs to be redone. you did a fantastic job!

Passionate for White said...

Are you kidding....he's going to LOVE IT! You are very talented that's for sure.

Jen said...

You are simply amazing! This is so beautiful! I would love to have you come and link up to Fantastic Friday at http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

Deborah said...

Fabulous transforamtion!!!
I love everything you've done with the clock Amanda!
I'm sure he's going to love it..
love your new look here too!
Have a great weekend sweet friend...

Deborah xoxo

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

It wasn't bad before, but uninspiring. Wow girl! You sure piled on a load of inspiring! (yes, I know this is grammatically incorrect, but it sounded good to me) It never ceases to amaze me how just a little paint and some creativity and a good eye can turn an ugly duckling into a swan! I bet brother will love it!

Unknown said...

wow all I can say is wow!!!!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a great transformation. I am sure he will love it! It looks awesome!

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

You are amazing! I love the new face w/ your brother's name on it and the black is perfect. He's going to love it.

The Unusual Farmchick said...

I will never look at ugly old clocks the same way, ever again... Brilliant "face lift"!

Jen said...

Thanks for coming and linking up to Fantastic Friday. I am featuring your clock this Friday, so be sure to stop by and grab your button. I would love it if you linked up something for this week too!

MiniBinoy said...

Hello Amanda, how are you? hope u had a wonderful xmas and new year!!you have given a fantastic face lift to that clock!!ur brother will definitely luv it!!i luv those roman numerals..u r full of great ideas amanda!!congrats!

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

That is amazing!
Who would have thought!
I love it!
Can't wait to see more, I'm going to explore more on your site!
And I am your next follower!
Stop by my blog sometime and say hi!

Unknown said...

the clock turned out great. ive been trying to find an old gradfather clock at the thrift store. no luck

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails